South Dakota Wheat Inc. is a forward thinking; non-traditional knowledge-based agriculture association dedicated to providing its members with strategies, thoughtful perspectives, and global opportunities concentrating on all aspects of agriculture production and rural life.
Opportunities through membership include:
1. Government Relations
South Dakota Wheat Inc. works hard to speak for the producers on issues affecting wheat production and market development. Issues include:
- Funding for Research
- Conservation Practices
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program
- Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program
- Non-point Source Water Pollution
- Total Maximum Daily Loads
- Conservation Reserve Program
- Wildlife Depredation
- Crop Insurance
- University Extension and Research
2. Risk Management
Farming with confidence in a rapidly changing world is what risk management is all about. American producers can begin to take advantage of new opportunities through disciplined risk management. SD Wheat Inc. provides opportunities across the state for the producer to learn more about the five critical aspects that pertain to risk management:
- Human Resources
- Eight issues of the Prairie Grains magazine, a high-tech, color, informative regional publication designed for the wheat producer.
- The Washington Report, a newsletter that keeps you abreast of the latest news in Washington, D.C. This newsletter includes articles and information on South Dakota agriculture and the state legislature.
- Your very own Diagnosing Wheat Production Problems booklet. This fifty-six page, color publication will help you diagnose likely causes of slow growth, distorted appearance, off-colors, injury, and death of wheat plants beginning with planting and ending with harvest.
South Dakota Wheat Inc. is an active member of the National Association of Wheat Growers (NAWG).
NAWG ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE:
- Emergency Assistance
- Crop Insurance
- New Farm Bill
- Wheat Gluten Quotas